Wednesday, September 21, 2011

On the Other Side

In the workshop we offered on September 10, Embracing the Other,  I was explaining what I mean by "othering" - essentially, the tendency to see that which is outside yourself as absolutely distinctly different and separate from you.  This particular habit we have is completely understandable, and on its own is not a bad thing. It just is.

The problem is, I believe, this perspective on its own can lead to some serious violence. I'd be willing to bet this is at the core of all violence. If and in those moments when we are able to consider the other side of the truth that all (for real, ALL) those others out there are also extensions of ourself in different forms, then how could we harm them? Well, I guess the other side of that truth is, in the individual sense of self, we all in different ways harm ourselves.  Look at this great situation we've created for ourself. (I have been listening to Alan Watts, The Book, can you tell?)

So, I recently posted about how 9/11 actually had a lot to do with why I became a massage therapist. Beyond that, the memories of being in New York only months after this event with a bunch of massage and aromatherapists who were dispersing all they could from their hands and their hearts still strike me with their sacredness.  I don't think I realized it then, but we were warriors of the spirit. We were light bearers in the City that Never Sleeps darkest nightmare.  As a 17-year-old, this made a permanent impression on my spirit.  Not only have I pursued bodywork as a profession, but I am keenly aware of the relationship between trauma and our bodies and committed to helping others release and move forward.

I was flooded by memories of this experience after I watched a slideshow we made after our trips to NYC.  Check it out if you like:



I know I am not the only one who's life was permanently affected in a positive way from this event.  There are thousands of these stories.  This is the other side of the pain of the event. It is how the game works.

So, in the workshop, I was also explaining how othering occurs on both small and large scales. I believe 9/11 to be the impetus for the past 10 years of national othering. I also believe that by becoming more aware of our tendency to close ourselves to others is the first step towards healing the space between us.  It starts right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment