Thursday, January 6, 2011

Getting the Call, part 1

The summer after high school I read Joseph Campbell's Hero with a Thousand Faces and was completely enthralled by this idea of the mythic process. Campbell outlines this process through comparing myths from various cultures to show that they all follow an almost predictable formula. His work has since been met with plenty of criticism, but for me it was like reading a sacred text about how to live our lives to the fullest, like the twentieth century, Western Daodeching or something. I remember even trying to find local Joseph Campbell fans to share in my intellectual reveling, though no community emerged. I have seen learned that even with community the journey is ever more inward. 

The first step in the mythic journey is what he calls the "call to adventure."  This is where the hero is summoned to walk a different path than they have been on or what is dictated by their present community.  A world beyond what had become ordinary starts to open up and reveal itself. Sometimes it is through a chance event that this occurs.  The princess loses her golden ball down a well. Siddhartha decides to journey outside his palace walls and discovers a world unknown to him. Frodo inherits a ring. Even in our own lives this happens. It is amazing to look back at the seeming mundane events to see that they were our messages that life change is near. 

I do feel that I have been called by the universe to become a doula, and now that some time has passed I can see how this worked.  For those unfamiliar with the term, a doula is a non-medical childbirth assistant that provides emotional, physical, and informational support to a mother before, during, and after labor. 

The first event that primed me for everything else was watching a documentary called The Business of Being Born. This was something that I had seen on Netflix for a while and never even thought to watch because, well, it didn't sound like a fun one and I wasn't very interested in learning about how messed up delivery practices were. I took enough women's studies classes in college that I am mildly aware of terms like "the medicalization of birth" and for a long time that was enough for me. Birth just seemed scary and not something that I even needed to think about. 

Back in the fall, I was invited to dinner at the home of long-time friends of my boyfriend. Though we've been dating since last spring I had not yet met these friends, partly because they are a couple with a 13-month-old and that doesn't leave much time for hanging out. It was a wonderful evening, the food was superb. I am totally impressed by a woman who works all-day, comes home to a small child and is still able to make an incredible meal for four people. The husband helped, especially with distracting the child, but the wife was definitely running the kitchen. 

I chatted with her a bunch and the conversation eventually got to talking about her birth experience.  Since then, I have learned that their experience was similar to many women's experiences today. Her labor was induced with pitocin which initiated a cascade of other interventions that made the process scarier and even more difficult. Nurses were coming in and out, giving more pitocin or epidural without consent, and mom or dad were both displeased with many elements of their experience.  In the end, thankfully, things turned out okay and they have a happy and beautiful daughter. 

One thing the mom said really stuck out to me. She had considered a home and/or natural birth and someone recommended she watched this movie, The Business of Being Born. After watching five minutes of it, she decided that the hospital was where she wanted to give birth. (Now she says that if there is a next time, she will seriously consider a home birth to avoid the trauma of the hospital birth.)

I was intrigued. Five minutes of this documentary biased against hospital births and she was convinced that this was the way for her?!? I had to check it out at least to figure out what five minutes she must have watched.  This never became clear to me.

Though I am not planning on giving birth soon, I certainly felt the exact opposite after viewing this film. I was actually very angry the day after I saw the movie. I couldn't believe some of the practices that they showed or that lots of women think that it is normal and okay. 

Since then, I have started to accept that hospitals or obstetricians are not evil and certainly some are better than others. As a doula, I will most likely be present for many hospital births, and it is important to work with the hospital staff and not see them as enemies. Besides, the birth is all about mom and baby, and they get my support now matter what choices are made, even if they don't match up with what I may personally choose. 

This was a start of my education and the constructuve side of anger is that it motivates us.  I was not aware of this then, but the feelings of "Women need to know this information!" was the beginning of this new passion of mine. I am so thankful for that dinner and conversation that led me to begin my education of childbirth. Though there were several other events that helped me to recognize that I was recieving a call, this was the first ring.


Read Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment