Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Difference Made

After I ended the last post I realized that the next one would have to be about this little anecdote from last week. This idea of “making this life significant” to me means being one who works towards making a difference in the world.

I was working on a client who had spent the day before walking around a theme park for about 12 hours. Her body was not so happy with her and she was very glad to have made the appointment to come see me. About halfway through her session, she started to giggle and reminded me of a segment on Comedy Central’s The Colbert Report where he talks about “Difference Makers.” The intro always includes a montage of people in difference-making professions: firefighter, doctor, police man, ending with a massage therapist. Colbert then shares some news story about someone who made a difference, ending the segment by saying, “Difference Made.” My client told me during the session that I am indeed a difference maker, and the next day she affirmed that her body had forgiven her and there was difference made. Experiences like this make me so thankful to be in this profession.

Apparently the universe really wanted to make sure that I got the message that day. After this session, I went into the SET office to take care of my responsibilities there. My mailbox is usually the place where I get phone messages or deposits for classes that have come in, but the only thing in my mailbox this day was a book. It had a note on it from my supervisor that said she had ordered several copies of this book back in 2007 (and that it must have been good since she ordered so many) but had misplaced them since then. She had recently come across them and wanted me to have a copy. The name of this book was Making a Difference with Compassion.

It is simultaneous events like this that make me believe.

1 comment:

  1. indeed... as life continues, everyday i also realize that things happen for a reason, as you mentioned in you last post... "we are microcosms in this universe," which connect us all together with everything. Thus, what i perpetually realize, as well, is that we do need to make this life significant BY making a difference.

    Let's make a diffence!

    ReplyDelete