Friday, September 25, 2009

Our Bodies, Our Mansions

I saw a client last week that could be referred to as a SET veteran. She had been receiving the work for over 16 years, mostly from my teachers, and found that it was one of the most incredible therapies that effectively got her out of pain following a car accident. She had been going through some emotional discoveries lately and knew her lower back pain was related to her interior life. Knowing she needed to get in before she left for out of town the next day, she called her current therapist who was unable to fit her in that day, but instead gave her my number. That was how I ended up seeing her.

We began the session with the usual body reading – analysis of the body’s structure while weight bearing – and I immediately could see that she had received years of SET. For the most part she was reasonably balanced, though the area of collapse that was causing her back pain was very obvious. I shared with her that I could see all the years of bodywork she had gone through. The client commented that she could have bought a mansion with all the money she has spent on SET for herself. I reminded her that her body is her mansion, and she agreed. “My temple,” she replied, and added that there are many people who live in mansions in pain, how can they enjoy their large homes?

This has made me wonder about how much our culture values housing ourselves in luxury without buying for ourselves the right to live our lives without pain. The truth is, a pain-free life does not have to be a luxury and we all surely deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment